Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Abu Hasana spent two thirds of his life in prison

[ 16/03/2010 - 09:53 AM ]

GAZA, (PIC)-- Palestinian prisoner Iyad Abu Hasana, 36, has spent two thirds of his life in Israeli captivity, the higher national committee in support of prisoners said on Monday.
The committee in a statement said that Abu Hasana was arrested on 15/3/1989 and was sentenced to 30 years in jail when he was only 15 years old on charge of storming an Israeli military base near the borders between Gaza and Egypt.
It noted that the Israeli prisons authority (IPA) was holding Abu Hasana in solitary confinement for the past five years and only a month ago it moved him to a new isolation jail, which is not known so far.
Abu Hasana has been deprived of family visits for the past eight years, the committee said, adding that the IPA refused to allow the Red Cross to send him clothes.
Ibrahim, the prisoner's brother, expressed concern on the life of Abu Hasana after moving him to an unknown isolation, adding that this brother was suffering psychological disturbances due to his long time of isolation and constant transfer from one prison to another.
He appealed to human rights groups to intervene and save the life of his brother. He asked for ending his brother's isolation and releasing him to receive proper treatment before further deterioration of his condition.

Gaza detainee marks 21 years in Israeli prison
Published Monday 15/03/2010 18:09
Gaza – Ma'an – A Hamas affiliated prisoner from Rafah, southern Gaza, marked 21 years in Israeli custody on Monday, the Supreme National Committee said.

Iyad Ahmad Abu Hasnah, 36, was detained on 15 March 1989 and sentenced to 30 years. He was detained when he was 15 for driving into an Israeli military zone on the border between Gaza and Egypt, the committee said.

Abu Hasnah spent the last five years of his sentence in solitary confinement, the committee said, adding that the Israeli Prison Service had refused to transfer him to a regular cell. The detainee has been banned from receiving family visits for eight consecutive years, the committee added.

His family told the committee that they are afraid for his well being and called on international human rights groups to intervene in the matter.